Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Note from the Director

My life in this world sometimes feels like a Hank Williams song. “The preacher man says it’s the end of time and the Mississippi River is going dry. Interest is up and stock markets down and you only get mugged if you go downtown.” Then, I remember that Eddie Money sang, “I got two tickets to paradise. Won’t you pack your bags; we’ll leave tonight.” Luckily, to find a balance between the two, I have a Little House on the Prairie DVD. As this world seems to spin out of control, I think about that episode (season 3, episode 10) when the three brothers start bullying the towns people and running up credit. The youngest brother even goes as far as being Nellie’s “hit man” by pushing and hitting Laura, all for sour balls, while the older brothers assault Caroline. As my daughter, Morgan, and I watch it, she says, “Wait ‘til Pa finds out!” She and I both take comfort in the fact that Charles Ingalls isn’t going to take this lying down. No matter how many times I watch it, I still say to the T.V., “Don’t go alone! Get Mr. Edwards!” But Pa doesn’t listen, and the next thing you know, he’s all busted up. Then, the bullies seem even more determined to terrorize the town. That is, until Pastor Aldron makes a stand at church and orders them out of town. As I finish watching, phrases from two songs come to mind. One is “Islands in the stream, that’s where we are”...and believers need to rely on each other. The other is from George Jones singing, “Who’s going to fill these shoes?”

I pray that I am teaching the staff and youth of Tiger Pause to stand up tall. They might not sing at the Grand Ole Opry, but hopefully, when they witness wrongs being committed their backs will move off the wall and they’ll take a stand against evil, all the while keeping Romans 12 in their hearts and minds.

Semper Fi,

Matt Nance

No comments:

Post a Comment