Thursday, June 27, 2013

Perspective from the Corner

With May and early June comes a rare break in the hustle and bustle of Tiger Pause programming and events. At such a time, I offer another glimpse of Tiger Pause Youth Ministry from the office or the “corner” of Tiger Pause. From my corner I am witness to a flurry of activity when the young men from our work program come together for Bible study with Mr. Matt, receive their assignments for the day, and then venture out to work and learn. It’s a pleasure to interact with young men who have learned to be gracious and respectful as they greet me and speak in a polite, friendly tone of voice. I am also witness to the great difficulties the young people in our program experience from their broken home lives to peer pressure to a lack of hope as they struggle through this world. It is my pleasure to be ready with a hug, a kind word, a prayer, and occasionally a tear. Even with their difficulties, I see God at work in their lives through the diligence of the staff to love, teach, and guide them by His Word. From my corner, I also see a community hungering for connection, affirmation, and hope. It is even evidenced through our Tiger Pause cat, Rocky. People regularly come into the Furniture Bank to visit Rocky, feed him treats, give him toys, and play with him. I see them light up as they call and he comes. I see them peruse the current stock of furniture for the 10th time that week so they might enjoy a conversation with the staff and a few minutes of respite from regular life.

As we have been planting a garden on 10th Ave., it is evident to me that we are regularly planting another kind of seed in the lives of those we encounter. I am thankful for the opportunity to be a “planter” and a “waterer” at such a respite as Tiger Pause.

“A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”
Proverbs 25:11 AMP

Kelly Hammerle
Tiger Pause Office Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment