Friday, August 21, 2015

A Note from The Director


What better way to end a successful summer than with a little road trip with the boys. No matter how many times I do it, the experience of watching young men see the ocean for the first time in their lives always recharges and refreshes my spirit. Maybe because it’s awesome to see them take in God’s creation or maybe because the comradery of a trip like this reminds me of the Marine Corps. Most likely, it’s because it gives a chance for old guys to act like teenagers again as we run into waves, try to body surf, and see who will swim out the farthest. This trip was especially nice because it was my son Samuel’s first road trip with the boys and the first time he ever saw the ocean. Words cannot express the joy we both shared in two completely different ways.

On this trip, I was also joined by Rev. Bryan Crawl, Mr. Dan Duffy, Chez Anderson, and, the newest edition to our Eye of the Tiger staff, Caleb Musselman, who comes to us through Christian Coalition Outreach (CCO). After three days of exhausting work, we met on Wednesday at 9pm to start our adventure. With no incidents and not even a whine or cry from our four year-old, we arrived at 6am in Ocean City, Maryland. By 6:05am, Samuel was in a bathing suit and hitting the water. The rest of the boys needed some time, so they hit the basketball court. But, by lunchtime, all of our Beaver Falls contingency with one Fombell dude were trying to be the next soul surfer. By dinner, everyone was spent and gearing up for the long drive home. It was then that I really started to appreciate what God was doing.

As you can imagine, we are a scene everywhere we go. Not only do we have larger boys, we have a very diversified look. I couldn't get through dinner without at least 10 people telling me what nice young men I have and asking me if we were a family. “Yes,” I said. “These are my sons, especially this little one right here.” And off we went into the night for that long ride back home.

Friday morning at 4am, everyone was home—just in time to turn around and work at a moving job and clean out two houses at 7am. The boys learned that if you’re going to hoot with the owls at night, you  better be prepared to soar with the eagles in the morning. No complaining, they just went and got it done.

I felt the impact of our trip again when Rev. Crawl sent me this picture of him and Samuel (below). No matter what the paper may write, no matter what I do from here to eternity, my legacy has been sealed. I don’t care much for flags but I like what is written in Isaiah 49:22: “Thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.”
Those that hope in the Lord will never be disappointed!

Semper Fi,

Matt Nance

No comments:

Post a Comment